How To Clap When You’re Addicted To Your Phone & Social Media
For most of us with smartphones it is very difficult to sometimes put our phones down. As you can see in the above picture from the Pepsi Refresh Project Tweetup by @PhotoJunkie we addicts to social media spend a lot of time on our phones tweeting even when we are out in public with groups of people. Most of us who are used to hanging out with fellow social media addicts do not think anything of it when people violate normal etiquette rules and are looking down at their phones while we are talking to them. We are well aware that (1) we do it too and (2) no offense is meant by it and (3) most of us are quite adept multitaskers who can listen to a conversation while tweeting about it too.
However, one of the problems I often find myself having when I am out and about listening to a speaker or watching a performance and all the while tweeting/BBMing/texting/browsing the Internet is that I only have one hand which remains free for other uses. Often, it is true, this free hand is used for holding a beer as in the picture above but what do you do when the on stage act which you are tweeting about finishes and you are still busy with one hand on your phone? How do you show your appreciation with the rest of the crowd – who aren’t an addict like you and have 2 hands free – who are all clapping? We already know there is no way I’m going to stop tweeting to clap so there must be another way to continue tweeting AND clap at the same time without knocking my phone out my hands. (Hey, I already admitted I’m an addict, don’t judge me!) And so, I have come up with a brilliant solution which I would like to share with you – and please feel free to use it whenever you are out and about. What I do is I ensure I am not holding a beer in my otherwise free hand and I simply slap the side of my leg – below the pocket so as not to crush stuff in there – and it provides a very similar sound to the clapping of two hands together.
In case you are wondering, I have experimented with slapping other parts of my body – no not my crotch, I wasn’t even trying that one – and they don’t work in terms of the awkwardness of hitting them repeatedly, and their very biological makeup. Your chest will not supply quite the same sound because it is largely hollow inside your lungs, also it is quite awkward smacking your chest while you are trying to tweet…that repeatedly moving hand is an annoying distraction! Slapping your opposite upper arm WOULD work except you’d probably run into the problem of dropping your phone and all the shaking will probably prevent you from tweeting. No, the leg/thigh region is the best place for you to slap as an ersatz clap for all of us social media/iPhone/CrackBerry addicts out there.
Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
Previously On LNN…
- ...better than a Monday. Can only do it one way, & that is the drunk way!!! twitter.com/StDxBrockstar/… 5 hours ago
- Woah! Tommy Chong was in an ep of 90s TV show Sliders. His character is sorta perfect too: Van Helsing, hippie vampire hunter & slayer 😁😅 6 hours ago
- Journalists See Rise in AntiSemitic Tweets, Fueled by Trump Supporters money.cnn.com/2016/10/19/med… do they know Ivanka Trump's a Jew since 2009? 12 hours ago
- RT @MLBMeme: If two Cleveland teams winning championships in 2016 isn't a sure sign of the apocalypse, I guess we have to wait for the elec… 23 hours ago
- Charlie Sheen Wants to Throw #WorldSeries First Pitch as 'Major League' Ricky Vaughn cbsprt.co/2dKnk2Z bring Wild Thing to #postseason 1 day ago
- Google Pixel International Giveaway @androidauth #giveaway wn.nr/CUSx9b 1 day ago
- AT&T to Buy HBO, CNN, & The Rest of Time Warner for $80 Billion theverge.com/2016/10/22/133… 1 day ago
The Cloud Of Tags