Twitter @Support Bans @UberMedia’s #UberTwitter Then Takes Off For The Long Weekend
On Friday February 18th users of popular Twitter apps UberTwitter for BlackBerry and twidroyd saw these two messages in their apps and nothing else afterwards.
Apparently the problem that Twitter had with the products owned by UberMedia included using the name Twitter in their program UberTwitter – as you can see in the pictures below they have since renamed the program from UberTwitter to UberSocial. As well, one of the things that violated the terms of service was that people were able to access Direct Messages (even though they were supposed to be private) because UberTwitter allowed people to use services which made it possible to write a tweet longer than 140 characters long. Because these services were not private if you tweeted A Direct Message longer than 140 characters it suddenly wasn’t so private. Anyone with half a brain can figure this out but apparently Twitter needs to be everyone’s parent on Twitter.
Part of Twitter’s excuse for doing this is also that they have been in talks with UberMedia for a long time about these Terms of Service violations – since April 2010. That is, as I admitted, quite a while to be in talks with them about the issue but how is it fair to Twitter’s users to just ban one of the top used Twitter apps without any notification?
Beyond that, if you look in the screenshot above, you’ll see that UberMedia got a new version of UberTwitter available within hours of the suspension. It is over 24 hours later and what has Twitter done since the UberMedia team sent in the new version of their software and changed the name of it? Well, they apparently took off for the long weekend.
If the be all and end all for Twitter is to maintain an amazing user experience how does this course of action count as that? In the more than 24 hours since UberTwitter has been suspended I have tried using the Official Twitter for BlackBerry application, Seesmic for BlackBerry, and HootSuite for BlackBerry beta and not one of them gives me the same experience that UberTwitter did. I am now trying the beta of a program called SocialScope – an application which I have already tried before – and we will see if it performs as well as UberTwitter (now known as UberSocial). Either way, I think this action by Twitter Support is downright irresponsible. Suspending an app used by millions of your users and then seemingly disappearing for the long weekend is not exactly the most polite thing to do.
Beyond that, I have always been happy with using UberTwitter before and have never had a problem with it. What I do have a problem with – and I know a number of people with similar issues – is that Twitter @Support doesn’t seem to give a crap about dormant accounts with great names. These people are essentially cybersquatters.
I am on Twitter A LOT, my as I write this post I am following 709 people and have 1,476 Followers. I have tweeted 21,235 times since my account was opened Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 04:58. Yet, for whatever reason I still have not heard back from the Twitter Support team when I try to get the account name @Levy. Whoever owns that account registered it Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 19:47 and has tweeted once on the day they registered the account to say they were “Chillin” has 19 followers, follows nobody and yet Twitter doesn’t see fit to close that account and give me the twitter handle I desire.
I just feel like if Twitter Support was really concerned with our user experience they would be helping users who actually use their site have a better experience and not ignore them to pull some stunt like this, trying to get people to use their ‘Official’ Twitter application.
Previously On LNN…
- RT @weeddude: ! JOB ! — Looking to hire a smart and open-minded news junkie for my team to manage outward-facing curation projects https://… 5 hours ago
- How Instagram Is Changing Travel on.natgeo.com/2pdI2hJ Love how @NatGeoTravel shows the staged pics & then the reality of the locations!😆 17 hours ago
- The St Regis Bal Harbour Resort's lobby is truly something else! Phone 🔋 was drained & my buddy wanted to go to sl…… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- St Regis #BalHarbour, #Miami's lobby is truly spectacular! Phone🔋 was drained & my buddy wanted to go to sleep but…… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @stats_canada: 99% of Leafs fans blame Justin Bieber 20 hours ago
- RT @h_farb: Really proud of our team. They fought hard & have come so far! Great respect for an incredible series played #tmltalk #maplelea… 20 hours ago
- The Capitals are only 1 goal away from next Round…But the Leafs are only 2 goals away from #StanleyCup Playoffs Rd 2! #GoLeafsGo! #TMLtalk 1 day ago
The Cloud Of Tags