Twitter Etiquette Part II: Auto-Tweeting Is OK For #FollowFriday/#FF Posting. Feat @jpuopolo & @oatmeal
In this post “Twitter Etiquette: The Do’s & Don’ts Of Auto-Tweeting (My Opinion)” written exactly a month ago on January 25th I discuss what I think is OK and not OK if you are going to set up an Auto-Tweet on Twitter.
However, as each #FollowFriday (now more often than not shortened to #FF), passes and I see tons of people who write a bunch of names with the #FF hashtag preceding it I became less and less likely to pay any attention to the #FF tweets. Then, I got a #FF tweet from one @jpuopolo at around the same time as I read The Oatmeal’s “How #FollowFriday Is SUPPOSED To Work” comic (I pasted only part of it below to make it a lot smaller because otherwise it would take up this entire page and also that part illustrates what I am talking about.so click the link above to read the entire comic).
Now @jpuopolo is one of those people who, in my opinion, is ‘doing it right’. His #FF tweets are always dedicated to one or maybe two people per tweet. There is always a reason given in the tweet why we should actually want to follow that person or why @jpuopolo likes that person or even just something funny about the person to make them into a person and not some random Twitter handle accompanied by a bunch more and a hashtag.
The way that @jpuopolo does his #FF tweets is pretty much exactly what The Oatmeal recommends as the proper/expected way – the way #FollowFriday is SUPPOSED to work. But when I tried doing it one week I found that with the amount of conversations and experiences I have in a week it is sometimes difficult to remember who and why I would like to issue a #FF tweet for when it actually comes to Friday.
This is why I have changed my rules for when it is OK to auto-tweet. I think it is completely legitimate to set up auto-tweets for fully formed and thought out #FollowFriday tweets. This way, when Friday comes not only do you give some credit where credit is due and encourage other people to follow someone who you think is awesome – your #FF tweet is really from the heart because when you wrote it on Tuesday you really were thinking at the time, “Wow, this person rocks…other people should get to experience the fantastamazingness of their Twitter streams!”
One final thing, I asked @jpuopolo: “How do you keep coming up with all these awesometastic #FF? thanx so much!” and pictured below was his reply:
Final Thought: Do you agree that this is a completely legitimate use for auto-tweets?
Have a great #FollowFriday and a great weekend!
To check out my first Twitter Etiquette post from January 25, 2011 click here.
Previously On LNN…
- Review: ZTE Axon (A1R) on Fido – 5 Months Later
- Enter Signs At MIA: Logical Sign Design Win!
- A Month Of Mornings With Bomb Energy Drink Instead of Coffee
- A Day Working With The #IntelInsiders Asus Transformer 10.1 Tablet
- Friends, Canadians, Countrymen, Lend Me Your Faces…Together We Can #StopJunkface!
- Hanging out with the lovely @MaudeKokin from @Fidomobile last night amidst our #GetCurious #WayHome2016 shenanigans! https://t.co/eBWctTcpEx 5 minutes ago
- #SonnetLovesJays and so do I! Enjoying a pretzel and our #BlueJays boys in blue https://t.co/kWQLOBO3km 4 hours ago
- 😲😲😲 twitter.com/nxtom/status/7… 7 hours ago
- RT @caulkthewagon: .@ZARA keeps stealing indie artist @tuesdaybassen's work. Their defense? She's not famous enough. Spread the word. https… 8 hours ago
- RT @Fandango: Watch the Hall H crowd freak out as @brielarson is announced as #CaptainMarvel https://t.co/fDMvgLA1ym 8 hours ago
- Hideous Shirt from Forgetting Sarah Marshall spotted at #WayHome2016. #GetCurious about why he bought it 😂😂😂 https://t.co/jtBDtMDeVU 21 hours ago
- Having a blast at #WayHome2016 thanx to @Fidomobile for awesome time & great views & time to #GetCurious bout new 🎵 https://t.co/mNBq928e4Q 21 hours ago
The Cloud Of Tags