New Facebook Chat Sidebar = Dislike
I logged into Facebook today and saw that they had started a new version of the Facebook Chat. This new version included a sidebar which doesn’t allow you to scroll through the people who are online, includes a list of people who Facebook generates based on who they believe “you’ve interacted with most frequently or recently on Facebook.” As well, “[s]ince it updates dynamically, you can’t manually add friends to the list.” This is according to the “Using The Sidebar” article in Facebook Help.
The weirdest part of this is that that is all the information they will give you about how the list is generated. They don’t tell you what Facebook considers “interacted with.” Does it mean people who invite me to events that I never go to? Does it mean people who tag me in pictures I am not actually in? Does it mean people I don’t actually interact with? (The latter seems to be the case, by the way.)
Also, what is going on with the fact that it doesn’t show you only online people? Why would you do that Facebook? If I want to message someone who isn’t on Facebook Chat I am perfectly capable of composing a new message to them in the Messages area of Facebook. I don’t need you to show them in a list of people for me to instant message. In fact, at one point tonight when there was 29 people showing in my list 15 of them were online. Why would Facebook show me 14 people who weren’t online to ‘instant message’, to me this just seems idiotic. No longer can we scroll down our list of people who are online, we can only see the people online who Facebook wants us to see – unless we use the search option at the bottom of the list.
Sorry Facebook but I got to say – this is an epic fail. I hope you change our Chat back to normal. After the massive success you had with the great implementation of video chat this is just sad to see.
Anyone else have a completely different opinion on this? Do you like the new Facebook Chat introduced today?
Facebook Dislike Button at the top via http://www.geekword.net/facebook-dislike-button-scam/
Previously On LNN…
- RT @weeddude: ! JOB ! — Looking to hire a smart and open-minded news junkie for my team to manage outward-facing curation projects https://… 5 hours ago
- How Instagram Is Changing Travel on.natgeo.com/2pdI2hJ Love how @NatGeoTravel shows the staged pics & then the reality of the locations!😆 17 hours ago
- The St Regis Bal Harbour Resort's lobby is truly something else! Phone 🔋 was drained & my buddy wanted to go to sl…… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- St Regis #BalHarbour, #Miami's lobby is truly spectacular! Phone🔋 was drained & my buddy wanted to go to sleep but…… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @stats_canada: 99% of Leafs fans blame Justin Bieber 20 hours ago
- RT @h_farb: Really proud of our team. They fought hard & have come so far! Great respect for an incredible series played #tmltalk #maplelea… 20 hours ago
- The Capitals are only 1 goal away from next Round…But the Leafs are only 2 goals away from #StanleyCup Playoffs Rd 2! #GoLeafsGo! #TMLtalk 1 day ago
The Cloud Of Tags