The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 3 Edition
You might recall my Season One edition of this post. If you don’t, don’t worry! I have it linked for you right here: The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 1 Edition.
Well, today it is time for a new edition of this blog post. The Season 3 edition. You may be wondering why they heck I am skipping Season 2 and jumping to Season 3 my reason is actually somewhat silly and somewhat lazy. The reason for the skip is that I already had a few of the episodes from Season 3 saved on my computer and I decided to start watching Season 3 and skip Season 2 for now. One big difference from the Season 1 edition is that this version of the Season’s quotes by Dr Tom has been verified personally by me. In the Season 1 version of this I scoured the internet and other websites looking for the quotes and not researching them by watching the episodes myself. When you figure each episode is approximately 44 minutes long and there were 13 episodes in Season 3 that means I have watched 9 1/2 hours of Being Erica for this blog post alone.
One thing I also noticed is that all through Season 3 the number of quotes dropped drastically from the number of quotes in Season 1. I don’t know why this is, maybe the folks who make this CBC show decided it was a lot of hard work to find all those awesome quotes like they did in Season 1 (and maybe Season 2? I really gotta re-watch Season 2!) and decided to use a lot less quotes.
Episode 1 “The Rabbit Hole”
- Pressure makes diamonds. – General George S. Patton (Second time it has been said in the series)
Episode 2 “Moving On Up”
- Learning is finding out what you already know. – Richard Bach
Episode 3 “Two Wrongs”
- An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. – Gandhi
- Darkness is only driven out with light, not more darkness. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Episode 4 “Wash, Rinse, Repeat”
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment. – The Buddha aka Siddhartha Gautama
Episode 5 “Being Adam”
- It is our imagination that transforms itself into reality. – Helen Araromi
Episode 6 “Bear Breasts”
- Running away will never make you free. – Kenny Logins
- The id lives in our subconscious, it is the force that drives our most primitive impulses. – Sigmund Freud “The Ego and the Id.” (Out of a book and I assume that’s what it was called. Not an off the cuff quote as Dr. Tom usually does.)
Episode 7 “Jenny from the Block”
- And I saw Sisyphus, seeking to raise a monstrous stone with both his hands. Verily, he would thrust the stone toward the crest of a hill but the weight would turn it back. And then down again to plain would come rolling, the ruthless stone. – Homer, “Odyssey” Book 11 Line 593. However, this is a misquote by Dr Tom based on the quotes I found of the book online.
Episode 8 “Physician, Heal Thyself”
- Whatever your past has been, you have a spotless future. – Melanie Gustafson
Episode 9 “Gettin’ Wiggy Wit’ It”
- What is hateful to thyself do not do to another. – Hillel
- (By Dr. Arthur, I am not sure why I even included it.) The Universe has a way of righting itself. – Tom ‘Dr. Tom’ Wexler paraphrased
Episode 10 “The Tribe Has Spoken”
- But the eyes are blind, one must look with the heart. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Episode 11 “Adam’s Family”
~ No Dr Tom Quotes ~
Episode 12 “Erica, Interrupted”
- In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. – A Tom ‘Dr. Tom’ Wexler quote quoted by Erica to Leo. Originally said by Albert Einstein and quoted by Dr Tom to Erica in Season 1 Episode 1.
~ No Dr Tom Quotes ~
Episode 13 “Fa La Erica”
- Christmas is a time when you get homesick, even when you’re home. – Carol Nelson
- The Family is the Country of the heart. – Giuseppe Mazzini
In a way it is a good thing that I rewatched this entire season when I did. I now remember the ending of the season – the overarching story which really ended at Episode 12. What do I mean by that? Episode 13 was more of a holiday special and aired BEFORE Episode 12. Episode 12, on the other hand, ended with Erica seeing someone off camera and smiling at them but it is not identified who it is and we will have to wait for Season 4 to find out. Luckily, Season 4 of Being Erica begins airing in Canada on September 26, 2011 – only 3 weeks away!