Some Of My Favorite Quotes
After doing all the Being Erica posts of Dr Tom quotes – see here for Season One, here for Season Two and here for Season Three – I thought I would share some of my own favorite quotes that I have heard or read throughout my life (not including the quotes from Being Erica as they have already been listed at the above linked posts). I am guessing that some of you will look at these quotes and will see them as somewhat telling about my feelings on a number of matters. I’ll also grant you that a bunch of these are quotes aren’t from ‘real people’ but rather from movies or TV shows. Some may say that invalidates them but I say why does a quote have to be from a real person to resonate? Someone wrote those lines for those characters, so in my mind the quote is just as powerful. In fact, a lot of the quotes which are attributed to real people are not off-the-cuff remarks but were, as well, prewritten.
- “That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.” ~ Thomas Jefferson
- “Don’t try to be a great man; just be a man and let history make its own judgments.” ~ Dr. Zefram Cochrane ‘Star Trek First Contact‘
- “Trust, but verify.” ~ Russian proverb regularly quoted by Ronald Reagan. In Russian it is – “Doveryai, no proveryai” and in cyrillic it is: Доверяй, но проверяй
- Nick Naylor: “Jeff, when do you sleep?”
Jeff Megall: “Sunday.” ~ ‘Thank You For Smoking‘
- “That’s what life is. You just, you gotta keep moving forward. Even when you know there is bad stuff waiting for you years, or weeks, maybe days down the road. You keep moving forward. Cuz even when you think you know what’s gonna happen, it doesn’t always. That’s what hope is made of.” ~ Eli Stone in ‘Eli Stone (Season 2 Episode 6) Happy Birthday Nate‘ 28 minutes in.
- “Like life, golf can be humbling. However, little good comes from brooding about mistake we’ve made. The next shot, in golf or in life, is the big one.” ~ Grantland Rice
- “‘I have no need of that hypothesis.’ He may be around, though.” ~ John Oldman quoting Laplace and adding his own addendum in reference to the existence of God in ‘The Man From Earth.’
- “Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today.” ~ James Dean
- “A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have….” – Gerald R. Ford
- “Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.” ~ Ronald Reagan
- “It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.” ~ Winston Churchill
Clipart image via Microsoft Office.