Brands: ‘Tis NOT Better To Have Loved & Lost, Than Never To Have Loved At All (Online)
In his poem ‘In Memoriam A.H.H.’ 19th Century English poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote:
‘Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
But this post is going to dispute that when it comes to corporate communications on Twitter. Well, OK, not really out and out dispute it because I wasn’t in love with the brand I am referring to in the tweet about (which you can find here) but I felt a little bit of poetry would class up the post.
What I was referring to in the tweet above is a brand who engaged with myself and a friend when we started talking about an article I read in LifeHacker. I thought this was one of the most brilliant things I had read that day and planned to give it a try when my friend told me about a product that does just this and she uses it all the time. I tweeted at the brand who makes the product in question – which as far as we knew was not available in Canada – and asked if it was available in Canada and the replied fairly quickly and told us that, yes, it was available in Canada.
To say we were happy is an understatement. I quickly went out to try and find this item at one of the chains mentioned and came up empty. I checked the chain’s online web catalog and came up empty. Each time I made a step following the advice of that brand I tweeted back at them what I was doing and the results. They never answered. It has been the better part of two weeks and still, they haven’t answered. In that time they have tweeted 15 times, the last time being on January 14th and not one time did they respond. (The first time when they did reply and tell us some info it took them about 12 hours.)
It would be one thing if they had never replied in the first place to our tweets, I would be totally fine with that because not every company and brand monitors all aspects of their social media presence, preferring to register their name and just leave it. This is the reality of the world we live in and no harm no foul if that’s the case. It would also be, sort of OK if they only came on once a month to respond to queries and hadn’t been online since the day they told me and my friend their product was available at Chain X and weren’t present to see my response. But they have been available, they have been present, they have been not only tweeting but interacting with other Twitter users and ignoring me is just bad for business. Doing this makes me feel as if I were talking to the Volcano Insurance Salesman that Peter dealt with in an episode of Family Guy from a long while back (best quality I can find.)
Do you think pretending not to be there while answering and interacting with other people is really going to have a positive response? It won’t. You’re just pissing potential customers off and ruining any relationship you may have had with them.
I have waited a while (more than 10 days) to write this blog post because I wanted to give the brand a chance to redeem themselves. They haven’t.
Better to not be doing it all than to be doing it wrong.
Previously On LNN…
- Review: ZTE Axon (A1R) on Fido – 5 Months Later
- Enter Signs At MIA: Logical Sign Design Win!
- A Month Of Mornings With Bomb Energy Drink Instead of Coffee
- A Day Working With The #IntelInsiders Asus Transformer 10.1 Tablet
- Friends, Canadians, Countrymen, Lend Me Your Faces…Together We Can #StopJunkface!
- RT @mcclure111: PSA: If a friend of yours posts this do not click it, their account has been hijacked and the link is malicious https://t.c… 2 hours ago
- RT @markfidelman: Would you click on this? Fonts matter. https://t.co/XI0ZFvLs0D 3 hours ago
- RT @PurestKanadajin: Confirmed, The Flash watches Rick and Morty. #JusticeLeague https://t.co/waEUnY3pXZ 5 hours ago
- I wanna be excited for the upcoming #WonderWoman & #JusticeLeague movies but I'm near positive DC will screw them up, they can't do movies 5 hours ago
- RT @Fidomobile: Shenanigans aren't over yet 😁 Love this shot! ^sa twitter.com/TheDanLevy/sta… 6 hours ago
- RT @680NEWS: Officers responding to reports of a male with a rifle on a balcony at a residential building near Bathurst Street and Dewlane… 6 hours ago
- Hanging out with the lovely @MaudeKokin from @Fidomobile last night amidst our #GetCurious #WayHome2016 shenanigans! https://t.co/eBWctTcpEx 7 hours ago
The Cloud Of Tags