Well, last night “Being Erica” had its series finale with the end of the Season 4 and I am here to bring you the quotes quoted by Dr Tom all this season. As well, I have provided links to previous incarnations of this post from the previous seasons:
If you are not up to date on the final season of Being Erica don’t worry there are no out and out spoilers in here.
I have also decided to add a new aspect to this post in that I am going to include Erica’s patient in each of the episodes. (I started writing this post after Episode 2 when she has already had a different patient in each of the two episodes as she goes through “Doctor Training.”)
Episode 1 “Doctor Who?”
Patient: Josh McIntosh
- Failure is nature’s plan to prepare you for greater responsibilities. – Napoleon Hill
- Life is too short to blend in. – Paris Hilton
Episode 2 “Osso Barko”
- Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. – Sigmund Freud
- With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. – C.S. Lewis
Episode 3 “Baby Mama” Read more…
Recently, I watched all 3 seasons of Being Erica once again so I could write the 3 ‘The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica”‘ which you see linked below.
Before I continue on, let me make clear that if you have are not fully caught up on Being Erica (up until the end of Season 3) there will be SPOILERS in this post.
Everything related to Season 4 will just be guesswork by me, so if you’re waiting for the premiere like I am, don’t worry I won’t be ruining anything (because I can’t).
Consider yourselves warned.
Season 3 Episode 12 “Erica, Interrupted” ended with Erica meeting her new patient…but who was it? All we see was a leather glove which Erica takes with a huge smile on her face. We simply don’t know who it was, but of course it is going to have to be revealed in Season 4 as that’s the next part of Erica’s therapy – becoming a doctor and treating her first patient. CBC even ran a contest for people to be able to guess who her patient was going to be but, of course, haven’t revealed the answer yet. I have some of my own guesses which I thought I would list here.
I thought I would jot down a couple of things before watching Season 4’s premiere tonight of
- What I want to see out of Season 4 in terms of the story wrapping up.
- Who I thought could possibly be her new patient.
1. What I Want To See Out Of Season 4 In Terms Of The “Being Erica” Story Wrapping Up
- What are the doctors? Erica once asked Dr Tom if he was an angel and he replies that there will be time for that question later.
- What is the doctor hierarchy like? Dr Naadiah was/is Dr Tom’s doctor so it seems she outranks him. Dr Naadiah often goes to Dr Arthur to discuss Dr Tom and Erica and we get the sense that Dr Arthur was/is Dr Naadiah’s therapist. Is Dr Arthur the ‘Head Doctor’?
- How do the doctors perform time travel? How do they decide who gets to be in therapy?
- (I doubt this one will be answered) How long in real time are patients ‘away’ when they go on time travel treatments? Are they even physically ‘away’ or does their consciousness just go to “another plane” of existence and then travel back in time to occupy their younger bodies? I think it can be either or situation simply because we know Dr Tom should be dead after he jumped off of a building and if only his consciousness moved out of his body then we can’t explain the episodes where his daughter reappears – which would require him to be alive.
Yesterday’s post on blogging and PR companies was pretty heady stuff. Today, I thought we would go a little bit lighter and therefore I am writing today’s post of Being Erica quotes. Finally, the time has come for me to complete this series of Being Erica posts…well complete until the new season (Season 4) starts 9PM in Canada on September 26, 2011 and is available to watch online (in Canada) at http://www.cbc.ca/beingerica/episodes.html (latest episodes) and at http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/Being_Erica/ (all episodes).
However, the beauty is that this time when I watch Being Erica’s new season I will do my utmost to compile the list of Dr Tom’s quotes as they are aired and will be able to post a list of the quotes almost as soon as the season is done.
- You can find my Season One edition of this post here: The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 1 Edition.
- You can find my Season Three edition of this post here: The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 3 Edition.
As I watched this season and looked back upon the previous posts I realized that although this and the other posts are called ‘The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica”’ but I included a number of quotes that were not actually said by Dr Tom. Maybe I should have named the posts ‘The Quotes Quoted In Being Erica’ but I didn’t and the bulk of the quotes are by Dr Tom.
I also mentioned in my Season 3 post that I noticed a significant drop in the amount of quotes by Dr Tom and I wondered if I would notice a drop between Season 1 and Season 2 and I totally did. I think it has to do with the introduction of a whole bunch of other characters with major parts and the advancement of the plot including the season long arc with Kai Booker, the first fellow ‘patient’ in therapy who Erica meets.
Episode 1 “Being Dr. Tom”
- (Said by Dr Naadiah to Dr Tom) Fear is the mind-killer. – Frank Herbert
- I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but I always end up where I need to be. – Douglas Adams Read more…
You might recall my Season One edition of this post. If you don’t, don’t worry! I have it linked for you right here: The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 1 Edition.
Well, today it is time for a new edition of this blog post. The Season 3 edition. You may be wondering why they heck I am skipping Season 2 and jumping to Season 3 my reason is actually somewhat silly and somewhat lazy. The reason for the skip is that I already had a few of the episodes from Season 3 saved on my computer and I decided to start watching Season 3 and skip Season 2 for now. One big difference from the Season 1 edition is that this version of the Season’s quotes by Dr Tom has been verified personally by me. In the Season 1 version of this I scoured the internet and other websites looking for the quotes and not researching them by watching the episodes myself. When you figure each episode is approximately 44 minutes long and there were 13 episodes in Season 3 that means I have watched 9 1/2 hours of Being Erica for this blog post alone.
One thing I also noticed is that all through Season 3 the number of quotes dropped drastically from the number of quotes in Season 1. I don’t know why this is, maybe the folks who make this CBC show decided it was a lot of hard work to find all those awesome quotes like they did in Season 1 (and maybe Season 2? I really gotta re-watch Season 2!) and decided to use a lot less quotes.
Episode 1 “The Rabbit Hole” Read more…
Some people know that I watch the CBC series “Being Erica” but some people haven’t even heard of the show. If you haven’t: the show is about a woman in her early 30’s who has been in a number of dead end jobs and relationships and one day meets the mysterious Dr. Tom. Dr. Tom promises to treat Erica and help her live a better life. He does this by having her list her life regrets on a piece of paper and then he sends Erica back in time to relive these regrets and possibly rectify them but always to learn from them.
The show is, I believe, mainly targeted at women but I’m a sucker for pretty much anything that has to do with time travel so I enjoy the show. One of the things Dr Tom consistently does throughout the show in treating Erica is to quote wisdom of people (famous and not-so-famous). The quotes are always relevant to Erica’s current predicament/regret. Often the quotes are very obscure but they are always, in my humble opinion, quite inspirational.
Every now and again I would look for a comprehensive list of “Dr Tom’s Quotes” and have never been able to find one. As such, I put this list together by searching around the interiorwebs and reading some really, really random sites. Again, I am surprised there isn’t a better, more comprehensive list out there so if you’d like to help me build this list I would really appreciate it! (Or if there is one that I haven’t found I’d appreciate the link!)
There were a number of doubles which came from different websites “arguing” about where the quotes came from/were said so I deleted some of them – more or less guessing which episode they came from. I haven’t proofread all of the names either so there might be some which are misspelled. Lastly, for everyone who wants to tell me that Prime Minister Winston Churchill didn’t say the quote about history and it was George Santayana I am well aware of this but this is what the contributor wrote it as so I assume that is to whom Dr. Tom attributed the quote. I am going to go through Season 1 and fix up this list however, so not to worry! As well, I have completed rewatching Season 3 of Being Erica so the Season 3 list is available here The Quotes Quoted By Dr Tom From CBC’s “Being Erica” – Season 3 Edition.
Episode 1 “Dr. Tom”
- In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. – Albert Einstein
- Curiosity does, no less than devotion, pilgrims make. – Abraham Cowle
- Pressure makes diamonds. – General George S. Patton Read more…